This guide will help you get started researching theatre and drama. You'll find resources for information about critical analysis of plays, playwrights, and dramatic productions.
If criticism of a particular work is difficult to find, look for general criticism of the author’s work, and apply what you read to the work you are studying.
To find books written about a playwright or about that playwright's works, follow these directions in CardCat's Basic Search screen.
1. Click in the box and type the author’s name (last name first).
Example: williams tennessee
2. Choose Begins with.
3. Select Subject from the drop-down menu.
Perform this search
A new screen will appear that lists the author’s name as the main subject heading, followed by a list of specific subdivisions.This sample was created to highlight useful subdivisions:
1) WILLIAMS TENNESSEE 1911-1983 
2) WILLIAMS TENNESSEE 1911-1983 BIBLIOGRAPHY 
3) WILLIAMS TENNESSEE 1911-1983 CORRESPONDENCE 
4) WILLIAMS TENNESSEE 1911-1983 CRITICISM AND INTERPRETATION 
In this example, click on option #2 for resources that give a list of the author’s works, plus critical writings about the author and his works. For a comprehensive list of critical works, click on option #4.
Subject headings for CardCat are found in the Library of Congress Subject Headings books, which can be found in the Reference area of Bracken Library, 1st Floor West.